Wednesday, April 14, 2010

San Ignacio and San Pedro Town

San Ignacio and San Pedro Town I feel are two totally different places in which to live and learn in.

Who wouldn't love to visit an island in the beautiful crystal clear blue waters. Living on the island has to be very expensive. With almost everything having to be imported, it causes the prices of everyday materials to be that much more expensive. Another notion about the island is that it does not have much to offer the children/parents.

San Ignacio is located in the mountains and jungle. It has something to offer for all individuals. Whether you are adventurous and want the thrill of rock climbing, or the gratification of climbing to the top of the mountain this can be found in many places in San Ignacio. If you are more of a history buff, well then San Ignacio is perfect for you. With a variety of different Mayan ruin spots in which some are excavated while others are still claimed by the jungle within close proximity, a history lover can find plenty things to do as well.

After learning about each area, I really do not know where I would rather teach. San Pedro Town from the time we landed almost four weeks ago felt very relaxed and welcoming. The community atmosphere has welcomed us in with open arms, and we were quickly recognized by most as more than just tourists. I really have enjoyed this acceptance and welcoming by San Pedro Town, but I do not feel I know enough about San Ignacio to say one is better than the other.

One thing I can say is that I do think I would enjoy San Ignacio more, for what it has to offer its occupants. I feel because San Pedro Town is on an island there is just not enough offered to not only the children, but parents as well. Whether it be additional governmental assistance, job opportunity, or something as simple as childcare, I feel it would be more difficult to live on the island. Without childcare it would make starting a family very hard. Unless one can afford a full time babysitter or has family inland to watch the baby while you work, families are stuck without many options for their youngsters until the age of three.

No comments:

Post a Comment