Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Privilege

Coming to Belize has been an eye opening experience for me. It has allowed me grow not only professional as an educator, but as an individual as well. Through this experience I know what it feels like to be judged by the color of my skin. Because I am not a native, I am seen as a tourist that is here to have fun and spend money. Not only were we picked out by vendors trying to selling things, but more than once the price of an object been raised because we are not native Belizeans. It not only happens at the little local fruit stands, but in the grocery stores as well. I have quickly learned to make sure to ask how much the item costs before purchasing it. I do not want to sound like a picky American, but this is one privilege I miss as an American.


Another privilege that is common to most Americans is knowing that you will have water and electricity (if it is paid for). During our experience here the power has gone on and off numerous of times. One time in specific the electricity was off for more than six hours, and since then the electricity has gone been turned off but no as long. Last night in particular the power was off for about three hours. There are many reasons to why it was turned off, but no one is 100% sure.

Since we have been here the water has also been shut-off for a long period of time as well (I think the count was at 4 days). We left to go inland for a week, and came back to the water still not working perfectly. Water was turned off because someone was dredging and caused the filters to be overloaded. San Pedro did not have any filters on back-up; consequently San Pedro went without water until new ones could be ordered. With it being Easter weekend, this notion took longer than usual. Both the electricity and water being turned off is a common for the locals. Most joke around about it with us saying they wake up everyday not knowing if they will have either. As an American, I feel people should get what they are paid for, but this is one privilege Belizeans are not granted.

People here do not see this as a loss though. They have learned to adapt and deal with situations that are thrown at them. This is one thing I really like about the people from San Pedro. If the electricity, water, Internet, or phone was not working in America, there would be an uproar. Here people make do with what they have and are more flexible. When in San Pedro, you just never know, and I have quickly learned to adapt.

No comments:

Post a Comment